Basic Cleaning Recommendations
The beauty of maintenance-free exterior cladding is maintained with little effort. Although Exterior Portfolio® products will get dirty, like anything exposed to the atmosphere, they are easy to clean and care for.
Additional Cleaning Tips:
If a heavy rain or a quick hose-down doesn’t do the job, follow these simple instructions:
- Use an ordinary, long-handled car washing brush. This brush has soft bristles, and the handle fastens onto the end of the hose. It allows the siding to be washed just like a car. Avoid using stiff bristle brushes or abrasive cleaners, which may change the gloss of the cleaned area and cause the siding to look splotchy.
- To remove soot and grime found in industrial areas, wipe down the siding with a solution made up of the following:
- 1/3 cup powdered detergent (e.g., Fab®, Tide®, or equivalent powder detergent)
- 2/3 cup powdered household cleaner (e.g., Soilax®, Spic & Span®, or equivalent)*
- 1 gallon water
- If mildew is a problem, use the solution previously mentioned, but add 1 quart of liquid laundry bleach.
When washing down your entire house, start at the bottom and work up to the top in order to prevent streaking.